A MacDrum minus the FAT


I had issue with a 640G Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive.

‘Erasing’ (the Mac term for formatting) the WD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) was impossible or so I thought, because the default format was MS-FAT32. Although Mac reads FAT, I was aware of FAT’s instability in Windows and given the size of the drive, I wanted an exclusive Mac platform to avoid the risk of losing a sizable amount of data.

Trawling the blogs, I found a tip by one CarlaMac that worked perfectly.

I launched Mac’s Disk Utility and did the following :-

On the ‘PARTITION’ menu I selected ‘1 Partition’ and in the same window I clicked ‘Options’

3 button options shows up for erasing. I clicked the first button (GUiD) for the Mac platform.

Then I clicked ‘Apply’ and it the ‘erasing’ was done in minutes.

I now have a stable MacDrum, minus the FAT, to throw stuff in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exchange Stabilization Fund, explained • Eric deCarbonnel

Music Industry Exposed • ©2010 FarhanKhan

The Sabah - Sulu timeline: 1405 to 2022